14 Days of Popcorn: Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn
I’ve been trying to figure out a way to make a real cheese popcorn for this series. I always loved the cheese popcorn made with fake, powdered cheese as a kid.
But luckily I prefer real cheese now. And if you want to make your own popcorn, where do you even buy powdered cheese?
So I decided to try experimenting with a real cheese option. It took a while, and a few failed attempts, but I managed to make a delicious Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn made with real cheese!
I wanted to make a cheese sauce to pour over the popcorn. That didn’t work so well. If the cheese sauce was more like a fondue, with the cheese melted in a chicken or vegetable stock, it was too wet for the fluffy popcorn. The end result wasn’t good.
So I tried to make a cheese sauce with butter, well, I ended up with delicious tasting butter with a clump of melted cheese in it. I could not get it to melt together into a sauce (but I might have eaten the cheese anyway).
I thought about giving up! I figured I could do a parmesan cheese popcorn, I could shred it finely into a powder and call it a day.
But I really wanted to make a Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn.
So in my last ditch effort before throwing in the towel I tried something different. I made my popcorn into more of a popcorn nacho type of treat. And it worked!
And it tastes amazing! I can’t stop eating it!
So now I have the perfect recipe for a salty, cheesy popcorn treat. It’s not anything like the powdered cheese popcorn I ate as a child, it’s so much better.
It’s the perfect grown up cheese popcorn!
For more popcorn love, check out the other recipes I’ve been sharing. 14 Days of Popcorn
- Day 1: Chewy Peanut Butter Caramel Popcorn
- Day 2: Chocolate Kettle Corn
- Day 3: Churro Caramel Popcorn
- Day 4: Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Caramel Popcorn
- Day 5: Chipotle Lime Popcorn
- Day 6: Trail Mix Caramel Popcorn Bars
- Day 7: Dark Chocolate Caramel Popcorn
- Day 8: Lemon Rosemary Popcorn
- Day 9: Brown Butter & Honey Popcorn
- Day 10: Chai Spiced Caramel Popcorn with Free Printable Tea Cups
- Day 11: German Chocolate Cake Caramel Popcorn
- Day 12: Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Popcorn Hearts
- Day 13: Sharp Cheddar Cheese Popcorn made with Real Cheese
- Day 14: S’mores Caramel Popcorn
Happy Valentine’s Day!
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Melt butter and heat until starting to simmer.
- Pour butter over popcorn. Stir until all popcorn is evenly coated.
- Spread popcorn on a sheet pan, sprinkle with finely shredded cheese (I used a microplane zester to shred mine). Stir it around until evenly distributed.
- Place rack in the center of the oven and turn broiler to low. Cook popcorn until cheese is melted (about 2-3 minutes). Watch carefully so it does not burn.
- Pour cheesy popcorn into bowl and mix.